Saturday, March 20, 2010

Ollantaytambo

Well, I've been a bit overwhelmed to say the least. I left Lima yesterday morning and flew to Cusco where I met an American who hitched a ride with me to Ollantaytambo. And a few seconds before we found my ride he tells me he's a missionary. I was OK with this until he preached to me the ENTIRE 2 hour drive to Ollantaytambo (which was extraordinarily beautiful by the way). Even got into the discussion of the Big Bang Theory v. Evolution and I couldn't help but sit there and think that the majority of the crap that came out of his mouth was ludicrous. But it was comforting to be able to speak to someone fluently.

I got to Ollantaytambo and Hallie (a volunteer coordinator) picked me up to meet me host family and go to their house. I'm staying with a 33 year old woman, Janet - pronounced Yanet, and her 6 year old daughter Mikaela who is adorable. They speak very little English and I speak very little Spanish so we speak a mixture of the two together with some added sounds and motions.

The standard of living here is substantially lower than what we're used to. My house is about 4 rooms - the common area, the two bedrooms and a bathroom. They have very little furniture because they just renovated the inside of their house. So in the "kitchen" area is a range, a table and a couple side tables to put things on, and a computer table. My room has a bed & a night stand. And the bathroom has an electric shower (yikes), a toilet and a sink. However, you can't flush toilet paper here because their plumbing system is basic. On a positive note, my house mom mentioned this morning that she might be getting WiFi. YIPPEE.

I had a bit of a breakdown this morning. I had breakfast and then my dad called and the second I picked up the phone and heard his voice I started crying. It's become quite difficult to think about home, family, friends and my cat. At this point in time, it's hard to imagine being here for 2-3 months. I just hope I adjust relatively quickly and start to enjoy it. It is truly a beautiful area.

On a positive note - the other volunteers are great. There are 19 of us and 3 other new ones that came in yesterday at different times than me (one named Forest). We had a pizza dinner last night with drinks and then did a little salsa dancing. I've gotten the impression that I have not been the only one who has been overwhelmed but that everyone ends up loving it. And it is a step above Lima without a doubt.

Send this lonely girl e-mails. Muchos Gracias.

4 comments:

  1. I'm proud of you and glad you are experiencing other parts of the world. I'm sure you will be acclimated in a couple of days and end up loving it. It's an experience of a lifetime and you also are learning how good we have it in the U.S. I think it's also going to help you grow mentally and learn you can do anything. As your Dad, I'm proud of you. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Liz,

    I am proud of you too. You are doing something that will probably change your whole prospective on life. Of course you are going to have days where you question the whole thing but 3 months out of your life is a blink of an eye. Learn and grow...this is an amazing opportunity.
    Love, Cindi (Courtneys Mom)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Liz,

    This is Uncle Floyd's youngest son Steve. Your dad emailed information about your trip. I think it's a fantastic thing you're doing. So many people never follow their dreams and truly live life, but settle for an existence at best and something to be endured at worst. Like your dad said, you'll be feeling comfortable soon. The 3 months will go by quickly (probably too quickly) and will leave you with memories to last a lifetime. I'll be following your blog while your there. Best wishes for a memorable and safe experience. Steve

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lizzard,

    I will never forget how things went when I arrived Australia. After finding out my bags did not make it, I frantically searched for somewhere to buy a calling card. I finally found a place to buy one and then I was on to search for a pay phone. It took me forever to figure out how in the heck it worked, I finally got it to work and could hear a ring! Within seconds I could hear boths of my parents on the other line they answered with the most enthusiastic HELLO! And I broke down! So,I know exactly how you feel. Your hundreds and thousands of miles from home and you know no one. Things maybe strange, uncomfortable, and a bit scarey for a few days but it gets better and it quickly will begin to feel like home. This is totaly for you. Not anyone can make this adventure, but I know you are cut out for this. Be sure to find time to relax, go for run, do something you may normally do if you were home and you will be just find. Dean and I are so proud of you and we love you!

    Love Coco

    ReplyDelete