Sunday, March 21, 2010

Hola

Hola! Today has been better as was the end of yesterday. Yesterday afternoon, I hiked up to the ruins called Pika Una - I think my spelling is way off but that's how it's pronounced - with a girl from Awamaki. And then we walked around town a bit and checked some stuff out. We found some cute looking restaurants that I plan to eat at during my stay here (some that serve roast guinea pig - a common Peruvian delicacy). After that, I arrived at my house & they had built 2 small plywood walls in the common room and got INTERNET. Then had dinner & went over to my host mom's mom's house (aka my "grandma") where the entire family was -- my host mom's two brothers, the one's wife & 3 year old daughter, and the grandparents. They were drinking 1 liters of Pilsen and passing it around. Every time Suzanne (the grandma) got the liter she made sure to fill my cup up. So I drank quite a bit of beer since we consumed 12 liters between about 5 people. Oy.

This morning I woke up and went hiking at 8 am with two other volunteers - Hayden & Kaitlyn. We went up to these huge stone quarries at the near-top of a mountain. It took about 4 hours to get there. They stopped to eat and were planning on going to the Sunshine Gate at the very top in the clouds which was another 2 hours beyond where we stopped. So, I turned around and it took me two hours to get down and I encountered quite a few cows on the path. I had to pick up a rock and hit it on a rock wall so they would move. I was quite parched and exhausted by the time I even got down near town and was having to take breaks just walking up a small incline. So sad. But I got very burnt on my back, chest, back of my calves and forearms. I need to watch out for that next time.

Tomorrow is my first day of helping with English classes in the elementary school & taking Spanish classes (mucho importante). Wish me luck.

PS - I'll try and post some pictures soon but right now blogspot is being volatile.

6 comments:

  1. Ola, I'm sure you'll quickly learn how to say CERVEZA!! Mucho gracias, your Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chica! I am glad to hear that things are already perking up a bit. That is amazing that you got internet so quickly. Lucky duck. I am really happy you are taking Spanish classes, that will help so so much when feel like you can communicate better with people. The other volunteers sound great :)

    Hasta luego!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dearest Liz.

    It sounds as though you’ve already starting being a badass in the land of Peru. Hiking, drinking liters of beer with strangers, engaging in the good word of the lord, and scaring cows with rocks. All of these things make you one step closer to having a more interesting life than most people I know living here in the states. I hope everything is treating you well including the locals of Ollantaytambo. Remember this simple rule, when trying to learn Spanish, simply add and “O” or and “A” to the end of a word and taa daa, Spanish! Wello, I’llo seeo youo latero. And keep up the good work and blogs!

    Derf

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey liz! steve gave me the link to your blog! good to hear things are going better:). can't wait to read about everything you get to do there! good luck!!

    ~sarah

    ReplyDelete
  5. Elizabeth-
    Each day is a new adventure....and as your friend Derf said- much more interesting life than most of us here in the States! One more bit of advice on his Spanish....be sure to say everything very LOUD when you are adding your A's and O's, because everyone knows that deafness is included with a language barrier....
    ;) Keep us smiling!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hahaha thanks for all the great suggestions & support everyone :)

    ReplyDelete