Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Buenos Dias!

Each day is getting better and better! I´m really starting to like it here. My ridiculious sunburn is still extremely red and inflamated. My forearms were the most burnt and swollen to the point that you couldn´t see my wrist bones which is unusual. And I´m not exaggerating at all - this is by far the worst sunburn I have ever experienced in my life. I guess my lesson was learned with the Peruvian sun & high altitudes. I showed my host family my birth mark arm and although my birthmark did look a little odd they thought that it was some adverse reaction to the sun. So I had to quickly look up Mole in my English/Spanish dictionary. And say, ¨No, esta un lunar!¨.

I went running this morning for the first time which wasn´t easy. I´m obviously in higher altitudes that I am not accustomed to as well as the hills/mountainous terrain. There are a lot of dogs around here just wandering and they appear to be strays but are most commony owned by a family & are friendly. On the outskirts of town there was a mother dog with two little puppies and the mom was horrendously skinny. So I walked back later with my breakfast that consisted of a flat piece of bread with some steak and fed it to the dog since I didn´t want it. I´m guessing this will become somewhat regular for me as I have a soft spot for animals.

I started Spanish classes yesterday which have been good. I´ll definitely have to do some studying on my free time but being submersed in the language and culture will help me pick up the language quickly. I found out yesterday afternoon that I will be teaching English & Environmental Ed with another volunteer at one of the schools. Neither of us have teaching experience but Julia is relatively fluent in the language which tends to make me feel dumb.

Tonight we have a volunteers meeting and & quiz night at the pub. My computer crashed last night which really sucks so I am going to see if one of the volunteers can fix it. We´ll see. Keep the e-mails coming, I would love to be updated on everyone´s lives....wait I guess I haven´t been gone that long, ha :).

No comments:

Post a Comment