Sunday, March 28, 2010

I think I have fleas.




This is a serious statement. I might have fleas or more realistically, flea bites. All the dogs that roam around here have fleas and it eventually becomes unavoidable that you touch them or they touch you. Although, on Friday evening on two separate occasions I had dogs coming at me & barking. Good thing I carry rocks for protection. I have yet to be seriously threatened by them.

Friday evening we had a pizza, painting & cerveza party at the new office / volunteer house. I walked home with my flashlight & rocks (& oreos!!) and found my family drinking since Jesus was home from Cusco for the weekend. They usually share 1 liter of beer and pass the cup around. But for whatever reason, they always give me my own cup and every time the cup is passed, I'm filled up as well. So, I end up drinking a lot more until 2 am.

Saturday, we had Ceviche & Pisco Sours for lunch. Pisco Sours are a traditional Peruvian alcoholic beverage made of whipped egg whites and Pisco (an alcohol). They sound gross but they're actually quite delicious. After lunch the entire family went to the next town over to a very small cemetery where they have family buried. We literally sat on the grave and drank 12 liters of Cusquena (a Peruvian beer) until 5 pm. Later in the evening I went to a local hostel owned by an American & drank on the roof top with everyone from Awamaki. It was fun & a gorgeous view of the mountains in the dark & stars which are quite brilliant out here.

Today is Palm Sunday and the start of Semana Santa aka Holy Week. This week would have been our first week of teaching but there is no school this week. I think there might drinking this week for the occasion & added free time. Silly me for thinking I would abstain from alcohol for 3 months.

Enjoy the pictures of Ollantaytambo. Caio.

6 comments:

  1. Love the pictures--keep em coming! Miss you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those pictures are awesome...admit it, you got them from a travel brochure. So it sounds as though u might be drinking a little bit during your week off, just a hunch based on your other stories. Also they sound pretty hardcore there considdering they refer to thier alcoholic intake in liters and not just drinks. As for me I had like three gallons of beer this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ice packs or cold water at the very least for the flea bites....hydrocortizone or calamine if you can find it....if no other first aid is available....drink a few more liters of cerveza and they won't bother you at all.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. This may be a dumb question but how much is a liter?

    ReplyDelete
  5. slizzard.....i think you are drinking more there than you drank in college. silly silly you for thinking you wouldnt drink for 3 months. funny thing is, i was even wondering if you would drink there. i am so glad to hear you are doing well. got the wedding invites! should i send yours to peru? haha jk im sending it to your moms. oh and i saw the dresses last week. they are very pretty! other than that nothing else is really new. I MISS YOU!!! LOVE YOU!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous pictures!!! Semana Santa...I think it has a nicer ring to it than Spring Break. Sounds like you are having so much fun! Love it!

    ReplyDelete