Thursday, May 13, 2010

Los Doltons

We plagued Cusco again over the weekend. The ladies headed out on Friday afternoon for an evening at the “Los Dolton’s” concert. Los Dolton’s are my “grandpa’s” band and they’re quite popular here in Peru. My entire family went to the concert as well which made for an interesting night out.

We started off at the lovely Hotel Ninos for some deliciously warm showers and cute accommodations. I met my family outside of the concert venue and got in for FREE in the back way with the band. Yup, I’m famous. Lito, the pianist asked for my information and I was relatively confused during our exchange…partially because he was a bit of a creep. But, little did I know that I would get the biggest shout out during the concert. Seriously, you’re reading the blog of an up & coming Peruvian star. The concert was fun and they had some interesting renditions of American songs. After, we went to our typical hot spots in Cusco and stayed out drinking and dancing salsa until five am. Ugh, tiring. Side note: when I was being spun around during my sensational salsa moves I accidentally elbowed some chica in the head….twice. Whoops.

Saturday, we went to see a Sexy Woman. Ok, it’s Saqsaywaman (A Qechua word) which are more Inca Ruins in Cusco. Despite my hangover, it was a beautiful walk and an amazing view of Cusco. We unsuccessfully attempted to sneak in the back way and now I’m writing you from Peruvian Jail.

Just kidding, I’m not in jail. But we did get kicked out. Later, we headed out for the evening and took the town by charge. At one point, I found myself dancing with our Spanish teacher and since he is not much taller than 5 feet I felt like I was dancing with a 3 year old child. It was awkward especially because my hands engulfed his. Yet again, another evening of drinking til 5 am.

The following day, I arrived home to find my family drinking at 1 o’clock in the afternoon for Mother’s Day. Apparently for my family, Mother’s day includes drinking festivities and dancing salsa in the main room. It was fun and a very unique experience for Mother’s Day.

On the volunteering front: I have another 3.5 weeks left here. Yikes, I know it’s going to go fast. I’ll be finishing out the last few weeks of English Class at school by myself as well as English Club at the Telecentro. Also, I started teaching Jesus English tonight in exchange for salsa classes. I plan to be a Salsa Pro by Sarah’s wedding.

Hope all is well in the States. Chau.

2 comments:

  1. I expect to see some Salsa moves at the wedding.... oh, and I need your soon requests for the playlist...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Make that "song" requests, not "soon" requests...

    ReplyDelete